I cannot imagine a better way to decorate my walls than with photos of my family. That daily visual reminder of the people I love is comforting and gives my home an inviting and cozy feeling. Sometimes the photos on my wall remind me (and our kids) what’s important in life when we have hard days. Other times they simply remind us how loved we are.
1. Find a space for your wall display
Photo wall art can be a large statement piece dominating an important space in a room or a coordinated collection of images in a gallery display. In fact, nearly any space in your home is an opportunity for a photo display of some type and different spaces will lend themselves to different types of images, sizes and arrangements. A hallway is a great place for an arrangement of smaller images since they’ll be viewed at a close distance. A display like this could start with a few photos and grow over time.
On the other hand, if you want a statement piece above your fireplace, or on images on a large, otherwise empty wall, you will want larger prints. Large sizes better fill a large blank wall and allow faces to be recognizable from anywhere in the room.
2. Select your wall art type and style
There are so many ways you can go about decorating with family photos. From classy and grand to rustic or traditional, or simple and clean. Your photo display should blend with the style of your home and reflect your own personality.
• Wrapped Canvas is casual and simple and you can dress it up with a float frame in a variety of styles
• Metal Prints are clean and modern and make an impressive visual impact. They are lightweight and durable and can be finished with a glossy or matte coating. A float or traditional frame is also an option here.
• Framed Prints are the traditional way to display photos on your wall. There are so many frame options and I’d love to help you select one that will look great in your home.
• Some like to Mix and Match frame styles or even mix framed and unframed wall art options within the same wall or shelf display.
3. Preview your design options
It’s hard to imagine what a photo will look like in your space. Therefore selecting sizes can be difficult and lead to regrets later. That’s why I offer mock-ups to all my families. A preview of your wall display to scale helps you try different sizes and arrangements before making a purchasing decision! You can be confident about your choices when you get to visualize sizes, frame styles (or frame-free styles) in your very own room with a simple cell phone photo!
The space you decorate will dictate the size and style of photos you hang. Here are some questions to ask yourself after you’ve chosen a wall area to decorate.
- How large is the space I want to fill?
- Will viewers be close or far from the photos?
- What is the style of the furniture and decor in this area?
The answers to these questions will help you choose which type of wall art will look best in your room.
To get started, send your room photos
I would love to mock up some ideas to help you decorate your walls. To get started, all you need to do is send me your room photos before your ordering appointment. Then we’ll talk about your preferences so that I can lead you through options most like to appeal to you when we meet in person!
If you’ve found this information helpful you might also enjoy