Working with a professional photographer to create Branding Photography can help you take control of your image and make a strong first impression. Even more importantly, great brand photos can help you attract the right people — employers, clients or even partners — and send the right message about who you are and what you have to offer.
Wether you are trying to or not, you’re building your brand when you show up online. You’re making an impression about yourself or your business. A brand photographer can help you be more purposeful about the message you are sending.
If you’re debating whether or not you need branding photography, consider the ways in which high-quality photos could work for you. They might allow you to snag the job you’re after, close a desirable deal or even find the perfect romantic partner. Read on to learn more about what branding photography is and why it’s important. If you’re interested in a session, check out my branding photography packages!
What Is a Brand Photo?
Branding photography is a way to tell a visual story about you or your business. It gives you an opportunity to put your best foot forward and show the world who you are. Branding photos can include:
- Professional headshots: Everyone needs at least one up-to-date professional headshot. These images help people connect your name to your face while highlighting your professionalism and personality.
- Photos with relevant props: You may prefer brand photos featuring relevant props. For instance, my client Alana is a seamstress who owns a small business. In her photos, she posed with her sewing machine to visually represent her talents.
- Photos with your products: Branding photography might also include the products you sell. Businesses rely on great photos of their products to gain customer interest and earn more sales. Photography is a vital part of branding for small businesses.
- Behind the Scenes: Photos of you or your employee’s producing your product or interacting with a clients are a great way to earn trust while capturing your audience’s interest!
- Photos in a specific location: Your surroundings help define who you are and what you do. For example, you might want photos in a library setting to represent your education and expertise. If you own retail space, you’ll want to show that in your branding photos
- Photos with your partners, employees or others: While headshots will include only you, you may also want branding photos that include your partners, clients or employees. These images can work well for a business website or promotional brochures. Ask about my Business Branding Sessions, which can include more than one participant.
Who Needs Professional Images?
Anyone could benefit from having professional-quality headshots and personal brand photos. Here are a few examples of the kinds of people who benefit from branding photography:
- Small business owners: If you own a small business, you definitely need branding photography! This is because headshots and business branding photos will help you appear competent, put-together and qualified. Plus, you can use your images on your website, on your social profiles and in your work portfolios. So you can see, Photos are a valuable asset for building your brand story and expanding media outreach.
- Authors: Authors use headshots to represent themselves on their book covers. The right headshot makes an author appear knowledgeable and showcases their personality, which will move copies off the shelf.
- Consultants or coaches: Anyone who does consulting or coaching work needs branding photography. Your brand is you — your clients choose you for your personal experience and mastery. For that reason, you need to show potential clients your best face.
- Models, actors and influencers: If you’re interested in being a model, actor or influencer, personal branding photos are an absolute necessity. Agents, directors, followers and fans need to be able to recognize you at a glance. In fact, most professionals in these fields require headshots before they’ll even consider you!
- Working professionals: When it comes down to it, all working professionals can benefit from having brand photos. No matter what you do for a living, high-quality portraits will help you attract the right people and gain new opportunities.
Where Can I Use Them?
One of the great things about brand photos is their versatility — you can use your photos:
- To update your social media profiles: In the fast-paced world of social media, using unprofessional or outdated photos just doesn’t cut it. If you want people to recognize you and take you seriously, you’ll need a professional headshot for your social profiles, especially those on networking sites like Linkedin.
- Day to day posting on social media: Beyond just having a great headshot and profile, you need to post content to get the attention of your potential customers. Your professional photos can be used in Reels, Stories, TikTok videos, Cover images for YouTube and posts!
- On your business’s website: Every business website should feature brand photos, including headshots of the people behind your product or service. You’ll also want pictures showcasing products. For example, images of customers using your product can be powerful marketing for your brand!
- In your portfolios: You might also use your brand photos in your portfolio, using a headshot to connect your face to your work.
- On dating profiles: Looking for love? Using a good-quality headshot on your dating profile can help you appear authentic and trustworthy. Personal branding photos can help you convey your personality and find someone who’s right for you!
Your images will vary depending on your personal goals. For instance, here are three of my branding photography projects. Each person had a different objective and intended use for their brand photos.
- Andrea: Small business-owner Andrea wanted some photos of herself and her products for her Facebook group as well as some general personal branding images taken outside.
- Tracy: After earning the iconic pink Cadillac with Mary Kay, Tracy requested personal branding photos to celebrate her and her team’s achievement. Of course she wanted featured her car and the excitement and energy that she has for leading her Mary Kay Sales team!
- Quinn: As the new owner of Quinn’s Coffee Bar, she admitted that she was no photographer and needed some professional images to use on her website and social media to build brand recognition and consistency.
Lisa Hahn for Branding Photography in Harrisburg, PA
If you’re looking to elevate your visual image, branding photography is the way to go! Whether you do Headshots, Personal Brand Photos or Business Branding Images, they can make your social media pages, personal profiles and portfolios stronger. If you’re interested in a branding photography session, contact me to get started! As a Certified Professional Photographer (CPP), I’ll provide my expertise through every aspect of the photography experience.
Do you own a business? You might specifically consider a business branding photo session where which will provide you with an entire gallery of images to use to market your business!