Brand photography allows business owners, and professionals to cultivate a positive image and connect with others through imagery. Branding photos use curated poses and outfits, backdrops and even props that help tell a story about who you are.
Potential clients, partners employers rely on visuals to determine what makes you unique. Whether they realize it or not, they gather a first impression while looking at your photographs — and first impressions are powerful.
In fact, you can formulate a first impression of someone’s face within a tenth of a second. Almost immediately, a viewer decides how trustworthy, competent and likable you are! You can see why putting your best face forward is so important.
Whether a quick headshot, personal or business brand session, my goal is to tell your “story” through photography! Read on to learn about my approach to brand photography.
What does a Brand Photographer Do?
A brand photographer helps you communicate and connect with others by the way they photograph you. To do that I need to understand, your personality, the brand you’re promoting and how you intend to use your images.
I’ll use that information to create images that are cohesive with the look and feel of your brand. Whether that brand is your personality or your business, some of the ways to do this is through:
- Colors: We’ll coordinate your images with the colors in your brand to give a cohesive and recognizable look. This includes backdrops and props as well as your clothing.
- Props: Props might include your products or the tools you use in your line of work. Sometimes the props are about you and what you love to help others feel like they know you personally.
- Locations: The right setting will give your images a look and feel that’s cohesive with your personality or brand. We might create your images in an office, home, studio or even outdoors.
- Poses: The way you’re posed is incredibly important, since body language conveys even more that the words you use! Is your brand casual and fun, serious, energetic… I’ll be able to guide you into poses that convey the message you want to send.
- Wardrobe: What you wear says alot about you and is yet another piece of the message you send in your brand images. I’ll help you choose outfits that will work well for your brand photos.
How Do You Use Brand Photography?
Brand photos are useful on your business website, social media posts, newsletters, advertising, etc… They are so much more than pretty pictures in your brand colors. Here are some of the ways well-planned images can help you.
- Elevating your small business: Professional photos help small business leaders solidify their identity and boost their credibility. In the fast-paced and ever-connected world of social media, good-quality photographs are an absolute must.
- Showcasing your product or service: Along the same lines, businesses should use brand photos to show off their products. The right images serve to entice potential customers. You can use branded images to get the word out about what you create and why someone should invest in it.
- Putting your face to your name: Brand images, especially headshots, help connect your face to your name. Making yourself more recognizable gives you an edge, helping you stand out among other professionals. For that reason, headshots are an essential addition to any portfolio.
- Showing your professionalism: While selfies and casual photos have their place, branding photography supplies you with pictures you can use in professional settings. It allows you to build a stronger image for yourself or your business.
What’s the Difference Between a Headshot and Brand Session?
Most brand photography sessions includes headshot photos. A headshot is a simple image of your face from about the shoulders up. It shows you making eye contact with the camera and holding a neutral expression or a smile.
The purpose of a headshot is simple — it clearly shows your face. You can use headshots for your social and networking profiles, email signatures and portfolios. Headshots are just one aspect of a personal branding photography session.
You might also need photographs showing
- How your product is made
- Clients enjoying your product or service
- Your employees
- Why you do what you do
Brand Photography Examples
Brand photography looks different for each person or company. For example,
Tracy and I worked together to showcase her as a Mary Kay Sales Director. We created headshots for her to use on business cards and social profiles. Tracy also wanted images with her team as they celebrated their accomplishment of earning the Pink Cadillac. So we were sure to include celebratory photos with her new ride.
Alana is the artist behind Manada Tree Creations. She teaches sewing and hosts project parties in her clients’ homes. She also tests patterns for a number of pattern companies, so of course her brand images included photos of her modeling her hand-crafted clothing. We enjoyed infusing her personality into her brand sessions.
Andrea, on the other hand, is a small business owner who wanted updated photos of herself and photos with her products. Andrea’s personal branding photography gallery includes photos of her using her products, as well as portraits and headshots that reflect her personality and style.
Quinn is the owner/operator of Quinn’s Coffee Bar, a mobile cafe! She needed professional images for her website and for social media posts. We planned a business brand photo session for her complete with product images, her truck, behind the scenes, and lots of images of her and her team in action.
Brand Session Types
The length and complexity of your brand session will depend on your goals and priorities. I offer three types of brand sessions:
- A headshot session: Since a headshot session is the least complex, it will involve a simple planning meeting over the phone or via video conference and preparation tips via email. After your quick session, you can expect images turned around in less than a week.
- A personal brand session: The next step up from a simple headshot session is a personal brand session. Your planning meeting will likely be in person and we’ll spend a little more time outlining what you’re looking for from this session. We’ll spend up to an hour taking photos at a location of your choice. You can wear a few different outfits in a variety of poses and include a few simple props if that makes sense for you.
- A business brand session: If you’re really serious about elevating your brand, we should talk about a business brand session! These photoshoots are carefully researched and planned to help you achieve your marketing goals and support your upcoming promotions. Your half or full-day session results in an entire gallery of images that you can use as needed to promote your business.
Schedule a Brand Photography Session With Me
Brand photography is a good idea for anyone, but it’s vital for small business owners and up-and-coming professionals. You can use your brand photos across your social platforms, on your company website or in your portfolio.
Keep in mind, brand photos are about more than just headshots — you can cultivate an entire brand identity with the right photographs. I offer a variety of brand photo sessions to meet your unique needs. If all you’re looking for is a headshot for your profile picture, I can do that for you! I’d also love to plan a more in-depth session with you, so we have a chance to take your brand image to the next level.
Let’s get in touch. Contact me today to get started!
Be the first to comment