The other day someone cringed a little when I told them how much my photo book costs. She said, “That’s expensive for a photo book!” I can see why it would seem like alot of money for a book with some photos… except it isn’t just a book with some photos.
My entire session fee is a credit toward photo products. The price you’re paying includes all my time to plan and create the images themselves, edit them and then prepare and order the products themselves. So the price of my photo book seems really reasonable to me. You’re getting alot for your money:
- Planning session
- Photo Session
- Selection and ordering assistance
- Professional edits
- Design Services
- Access to professional quality products & knowledge about them
- Your products hand-delivered to you
For the curious person, I’m happy to pull back the curtain a little and show you what it takes on my end to be able to create not just your photos but keepsake products as well. These things help me provide a nice experience for my clients. I hope you find it interesting.
- Equipment – photographers need quality equipment because they use it heavily. We need to maintain it with cleaning, repairs and replacement at the end of its life. Beyond the camera and lenses, there’s a long list of supplies, props, lighting and more that we need to run our business.
- Education and Training – I’ve spent a crazy amount of time and money on training so far. I never plan to stop taking classes and developing myself. Not just in the artistic and technical aspects of photography, but in business, and marketing and finance and all the things I need to understand to run a business that can last.
- Time – our most valuable asset. Most people only consider their session length when they think about how long a photographer spends creating their photos. The truth is that for every hour of shooting time there are many hours spent planning, preparing, culling and editing photos, ordering printed product and final delivery.
- Business Expenses – when you run a business you need processes and systems and apps to stay organized, track clients info, manage finances and more. There’s your website, blog, photo storage, photo & video editing, marketing, insurance, samples and so much more. You can imagine how fast this adds up. 🙂
So sure, you can get products cheaper if you order prints through Costco or Mpix, but I have found that most families never get around to ordering prints and products and their photos exist only in digital form. That’s sad to me. I think that families should enjoy their photos together!
What I hope to provide is more than just an image file. I am here to help that person who wants quality prints, wall art, books and albums and would rather not spend their time fooling with files and figuring out how to lay out a photo book or mat and frame their photos. I want to help the person who wants to create a wall gallery of their loved ones at home but isn’t sure where to start or what sizes to go with.