The other day someone said to me, “That’s an expensive photo book!” I can see why it might seem like alot, but here are the reasons why my photo books (and all my products) are priced as they are:
First, there’s the time it took to plan and create the images, then edit them, design the pages and order the book. Time you don’t have to take out of your busy life. 😊
My time and expenses are figured into each product vs. charging you a separate session fee. Here’s what you get beyond the book (and each of my products)…
- Planning session
- Photo Session
- Selection and ordering assistance
- Professional edits (photos)
- Design Services (product)
- Approval process and changes til you love it
- Access to professional quality products & knowledge about them
- Your products hand-delivered to you (I can help you hang wall art)
- Matching digital images to share on social media
There are many expenses to running a business that the average person isn’t aware of. We photographers need so much more than a nice camera! All or expenses need to be covered in our pricing while still making a profit.
I’m happy to pull back the curtain a little and show you what it takes to be able to create great photos and products and provide a pleasant experience for you.
- Equipment – photographers need quality equipment because they use it heavily. We need to maintain it with cleaning, repairs and replacement at the end of its life. Beyond the cameras (we need at least two) and lenses (most of us spend more on our lenses than cameras), there’s a long list of quality devices, that we need to run our business.
- Education and Training – I’ve spent as much on training now than I have on equipment. It helps me make better photos and provide a great experience for you. I develop myself not just in the artistic and technical aspects of photography, but in business, and marketing and finance and all the things I need to understand to run a business that can last.
- Time – My most valuable asset. Most people only consider their session length when they think about the time a photographer spends on them. The truth is that for every hour of shooting time there are many hours spent planning, preparing, communicating, culling and editing images, designing artwork, ordering product and final delivery.
- Other Business Expenses – When you run a business you need processes and systems and apps to stay organized, track clients info, advertise, manage finances and more. There’s your website, blog, photo storage, photo & video editing, marketing, insurance, samples and so much more. You can imagine how fast this adds up, and I haven’t even mentioned Taxes and insurance yet!
So yes, of course, you can get products cheaper if you order prints through Costco or Shutterfly. And there is nothing wrong with that. However, I have found that many families never get around to ordering prints and products and their photos exist only in digital form, which I think is sad! 😢 Will those photos still be around in 20 years?
I am passionate about seeing my work to completion and making sure your end products are perfect! After spending your time and money on a professional photo session, shouldn’t your photos be displayed where you can see and enjoy them WITH your loved ones?
So I choose to provide more than just an image file. I am here to make your life easy. I provide quality prints, wall art, books and albums so you don’t have to spend time after your session cropping & sizing image files, designing a photo book, matting and framing or designing a wall gallery.
So if you want photo keepsakes you can hold in your hands or view on your wall, with as little “pain” as possible, I am your girl! Give me a call today!